Wednesday, February 20, 2013

January Reads

So my Goodreads goal was to read two books a month, thus bringing my year-long total to 24 books. Sadly, I'm a bit of a slacker who constantly goes through roommate/landlord drama and so I'm falling a little short.

Either way, in 2013 I've managed to read two pretty decent books. Here are my reviews:

The BFG
By: Roald Dahl
Rating on Goodreads: *** of *****

I remember in third grade I heard a lot about this book. I'd tell people I hadn't read it, and they'd gasp. 

So after a million years, I finally sat down and I've got to say, it was cute. Not much else to say about it. 

I feel that if I'd read it years ago, I would have loved it. The ending (literally, the very last line) was very clever. If you're looking for something magical and uplifting, this is a quick read.





 Wither
By: Lauren DeStefano
Rating on Goodreads: **** of *****



This book was incredibly well written. From the very first sentence you're sucked into Rhine's horrible world. I didn't expect to feel as nauseous as I did the entire book. This is NOT a novel to make you feel uplifted.

The only real thing I had an issue with was the ending, it felt a bit too rushed for me to give this a five star rating. Though it's a trilogy so I'm excited to read the next one.





 Are you my friend on Goodreads yet? You should be :) 

2 comments:

  1. I love the BFG (especially the way the giants talk~ it's a good writing lesson in creating a unique and fun voice for a kids' book)! And you've got me interested in Wither, so thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good lesson of unique voices. Wither was amazing, I'm excited to read the next one in the trilogy.

      Delete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...