Wednesday, April 18, 2012

YA Highway: Prom

Firstly, it's my birthday tomorrow. And you know what would make my birthday AMAZING? If you went ahead...and participated in my Open Mic Blog Hop :) Or at least, stopped by to listen to my entry (that's right. LISTENED, not READ my entry).

Over at YA Highway, every Wednesday, they post a blog topic. This week is PROM. And, since I'm participating in the Oh, Those High School Dances Blog Hop, and I needed something to blog about, I figured, why not?

So prom...
First of all, I bought my dress the morning of prom. I'd gone shopping a million times, but couldn't find the one I really liked. Then, with last minute stress, I figured this was good enough. It cost $150, and the dress tag told me the color was Salmon, not pink, so that was also acceptable.

My date, Alex, and me

After driving around, getting my hair done, doing my nails, and hanging out with friends, we went to the dance. Getting Alex in was a little problematic as he was a senior in college and I was a senior in high school, so I lied and said he was younger, and boom, we attended my senior prom. I'd pretty much been with the guy since my freshmen year (though there were some complications), and everyone (teachers, friends, etc) knew him.We danced, and had an amazing night. 

Then, we went to after prom, which was lovely, and held at a local bowling alley/putt putt golf place. 

I just really like this picture

At around four or five a.m. after prom ended. Alex and I had an hour drive home. I stole a fish from prom, including the fish bowl, and I was really excited. Unfortunately, both of us were unGodly tired, and the music did a poor job of keeping me awake. So he drove, and I put my head against the window...and passed out.

I woke up when I heard the siren. I sat bolt upright when I looked in the mirror and saw flashing lights and felt the truck come to a stop. Alex rolled his window down, we handed the officer our IDs, and the officer made sure that I was safe, that I was okay. The entire time I was silently praying that we wouldn't get a ticket.

This is what I remember from a bit of the conversation.
Cop to me: Do your parents know where you are?
**I hated this question. I hated this question all through high school because I didn't live with my parents. My mother rarely knew where I was. After I'd moved out, it took her three days before she started calling around to figure out where I was. Also, every time Alex and I got pulled over, or got approached by cops (which happened on a pretty regular basis, actually), they always asked if I was okay when usually I was the one kidnapping Alex. I'm pretty sure it was because I was 16 with a 20 year old guy, or 17 with a 21 year old, or 18 with a 22 year old.
Me: I'm not sure...my sisters know where I am though! We're leaving prom! 
**I was faking being calm, and excited, because truthfully, I was terrified. In the back of my head I was chanting, Please don't give us a ticket, please don't give us a ticket...
Cop to Alex: I pulled you over because you were swerving.
Alex: I'm sorry, sir. I'm tired, we've had a long drive.
Me: Look! I have fish!
**I held the fish bowl up and gave him a thumbs up.
Cop to both of us: Have either of you had anything to drink tonight?
Both of us: No, sir
**At the time we were both straight edge. Heck, I was living with the guy and we never even had sex.
Me: We were at after prom!
**By now, I was pretty sure he thought I was at least drunk.
Cop: This late?
Me (or Alex, not sure): It was held in Auburn.
I proceeded to hold the bowl up for the officer to see. After a few more tense moments, and me acting crazy, and trying to get him to look at my fish, and probably the bracelets I got from the tables, and other various crap, he let us go, and told us to be safe. We didn't get a ticket. I held Alex's hand for the remainder of the drive.

We drove home, crawled into bed (because at this point, I was living with Alex). We laughed about getting pulled over, and though 90% of my senior year sucked, this night was one of the most fun nights I had.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What a fantastic story! Are you using that for the bloghop?? How awesome. I definitely can't beat this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm probably going to use something else. I mean, high school dances has homecoming, coming home, and the two other proms I attended...I just have to find digital versions of those pictures....

      Are you stopping by the blog hop tomorrow? :)

      Delete
  2. I'll be stopping by to listen yo your entry for sure! What a crazy story, I'm glad that cop let you off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I was wicked excited that we got off...mainly because I couldn't stop acting like an idiot because I was so tired and I knew he thought at least I was drunk. And yay. I'm nervous about tomorrow. Will be practicing all night tonight. :)

      Delete
  3. That's a fun story, Lynn(e). I'm glad you both got home safely. Happy birthday for tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! That sounds super-scary. Glad it ended well. (Also, your after-prom sounds ah-mah-zing. Wish we got to do all-night putt-putt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I was terrified...especially when the cop started asking if we'd had anything to drink because I was acting like an idiot. After prom rocked!

      Delete
  5. Well since today is tomorrow :D (yes it totally makes sense :D): Happy Birthday!!!

    Great and scary story! even though I have to say your convo with the cop (especially the bowl part) cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes! And my plan was to annoy the cop into no ticket. It seems to have worked :)

      Delete
  6. That story would make a great essay. It seems like there are lots of layers under the main story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've considered making a lot of my life then into some stories or essays

      Delete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...