Monday, November 25, 2013

After Two Years, It's Over

So long, so long
Effective today, I turned my keys back into what I've affectionately dubbed, "The Soul Suck."

Two years ago, I'd moved to Maine without a place to live. I became a snowboarding instructor and my manager blatantly said, "We don't pay well, and your hours will be variable. You'll need a second job to survive the winter."

I put in an application, and after a rather extensive background check, I started working for Rite Aid. Because of the mental state I was in, it did not go smoothly for a long time. I fought with managers, I dropped stuff. Eventually, I was promoted to a Shift Supervisor, which is where I've been for the last year and a half.

One of the things I'd hated:
You load the cart up....
I spent two years putting my life back together after it felt apart. Rite Aid helped fund my travels to Michigan, to writing conferences, for a snowboard, for housing, for Bax's vet bills, for clothes. It was a safety net that I'm letting go of, and as I counted down the register for the last time last night, I was kind of scared. What if I fail at my new job? What if something happens?

And it'd all fall...

Every time.
But I guess that's part of life, isn't it? We don't know what'll happen. We're just along for the ride.

So after three pairs of ripped khakis, four navy blue shirts that are permanently stained, five name badges that were chronically lost, countless scrapes and bruises, and far too many energy drinks, I say goodbye to the place that helped put me back on my feet.

Goodbye, Rite Aid. Thank you for the last two years.


There are things I won't miss like, the marquee board that caused me to scream and curse and hope there were no customers around. mean customers to scream at me regarding the fact I'm IDing them, taking the trash out....and having it fall all over the parking lot, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Even if something happens, and you're well aware stuff does... all the time, you'll be just fine. It takes guts to walk away from that safety net, but you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...