Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Obligatory Thankful Post

Brenda Drake has been having the Thankful Blog Hop floating around, and as Thanksgiving is tomorrow, I guess I should, you know, contribute.

**My friends.

Me and the Penet family.
I spent last Thanksgiving with them :)
Usually here most people say friends and family here but if you know me, you'd know why I'm leaving family out of the equation. My sisters are my friends, and thus, they are included in this broad category.

In the last year, I have tested, destroyed, blown up, rekindled, and started the threads of friendship that bind me to other people. I moved across the country (the north to south way) and with the help of my friends, am now finding my feet underneath me. This feat would not have been possible without people pushing me in the right direction, offering to house my belongings because I can't afford my storage unit anymore, sending me gifts or money, putting gas in my tank, allowing me to crash in their basements while I was homeless, or loaning me $200 when my car broke down.
Without them, I would not be standing right now.

He's not impressed by NaNo
**Baxter

When I got him, it was a bad idea. I spent about four years away from him while my aunt and uncle fed him. Then about two or three years ago, I talked it over with my cousins because I loved Bax, and he loved me. They told me point blank, "Don't ask permission, just take him. If you ask, they'll say no. Just write a note, apologize, and they'll forgive you someday."

That year, Bax and I got pictures with Santa and sent out Christmas cards. Just recently, I wrote my aunt a letter, and still recieved no response. Sometimes I hear about her through my mother, but it's rare. My heart breaks more with each year that passes, but at the same time, I can't come to regret the decision I've made. Like with my friends, without Baxter, I also would not have survived the last year.


**Electricity

It's such a small thing, but when Hurricane Sandy hit Maine, my house lost power for about twelve hours. My NaNoWriMo project revolves around power going out world wide. Because of this, I've come to having quite a few anxiety attacks. I'm happy my computer works, that light switches bring light, that my iPod plays music.


Best. Job. Ever.
**Being a snowboarding instructor

When I started the season last year, I was two weeks off surgery. I was nervous, and scared, and a lesser rider than everyone around me. By the end of the season, I wasn't afraid of rails, I could rock 180s and began 360s. I rode fast, hit ice patches, got a concussion, slammed my surgery scars into the ice, but it was so, so worth it.

Last year someone made the joke, "Oh, is this one of those things you wanted to do your whole life?" and I said, "Yes, actually. I've wanted to do this since 8th grade." And I've finally gotten the chance. It doesn't pay well, the lessons can be hard, but each and every single day I get to be there is a blessing.

**A roof over my head

Even if it's not where I plan to stay forever, it's nice to have a bed to go to, a place where I can shower in peace, and a basement where I'm rarely bothered. It has its cons; like no wifi, sometimes things that make me feel ungodly uncomfortable, but there are people who don't have a place to live. So I'm thankful for mine.

Scary, isn't it?
**My Car

In the years I've had Riley, I've driven from Maine, to Michigan (a couple of times) to North Carolina, to Massachusetts, to Florida, to North Carolina, to Virginia,  to Washington D.C, and Georgia. At the age of 22, without a cosigner, I wrote my name on a line and began making payments. Sometimes they're easy to make, sometimes, like right now, they're not.

The backseat smells like something died. There is more dog hair than I think the world knows what to do with. And then, the brakes went out this week, to the point it was recommended that I stop driving. But I needed to travel to Biddeford, and Fryeberg, and today I'm in Boston. Monday night a friend, without hesitation shelled out nearly $200 so I could get my car fixed. It's amazing to drive it and not hear the screaming death I'd heard for the last month.

**The request I've gotten

It's hard being rejected. but one day, friends, those requests will turn into a deal. You just gotta keep holding on!

And, while there are several other things I'm thankful for this year, because it's oh-so-cool to do, I saved the best for last:

You guys!
**My Followers.
When I started this blog, I told myself I'd be happy with just fifty followers. Most of those were my friends who I harassed on facebook, and they probably don't even check up on this. When I reached one hundred, my jaw dropped. Now, nearly to 150, I am so humbled that you guys have stuck this thing out with me.

You guys stop in. You comment. You're supportive. Some of you have written me emails and asked questions or send further support. Two of you even sent me some awesome presents! (Have I mentioned how much I love free stuff?)

I truly and grateful for your appearance, your tweets, your re-tweets, and the interactions I have with you. Thank you for being around.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. Eat some Turkey for me!

10 comments:

  1. Nice gratitude list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, love this blog. You are a truly loved friend and I think about you and Baxter a lot. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am so grateful for our friendship!
      Love you and miss you! Pat

      Delete
    2. Thank you, both of you! I love you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I would've eaten the pie for you...but..I didn't get a big fancy dinner. :(

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this post, I've learned so much about you. Hugs for all you've been through and may brighter days be ahead! Love Baxter by the way, I get how you couldn't leave him with your aunt. Hopefully, she'll learn to forgive and accept the olive branch you offered. Happy Thanksgiving (It's all about the pies, isn't?) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thanksgiving pies are what I look forward to every year. Thank you for your kind comments, I too hope she forgives me...:/

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Baxter!! I love to read your posts as well. I admire how open you are with sharing your life with us, and I hope you have a great day :)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I hope yours was grand, too :)

      Delete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...