Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blog Comments

Before I start the blog, I'd just like to state that my blog has officially been up for a year. So, thank you guys for coming by, leaving comments, and helping me learn and grow as a writer. Okay, enough mushy.

Short one today.

Back in March, Rebecca Rasmussen had a guest blog about Literary Citizenship. Now, almost a year later, I think about this post a lot. It shared a lot of, "If you want to have the writing community excel, push it along" types of advice. Step one, was to write charming notes to writers.

So let's think about this. I'm assuming most of you who drop into the blog, have your own blogs, no? What does this mean? This means, I take that citizenship to another step, it's called being blog friendly. If someone comments on my blog, I try to return the favor.

Why?

Because:
*I love comments. I feel other writers feel the same.
*It helps establish a connection to the people commenting.
*It may help develop friendships. There are a few people who comment pretty regularly, and I look forward to what they have to say (thanks again!)
*It's kind of like being a pen-pal. You gotta write back, you know?

Basically, I'm not saying you have to comment back. I'm just saying it's a nice thing to do, and probably makes other people happy, too. Plus--if you actually go through and read the blog post, most of the time, there is something worthwhile to read.

:)

6 comments:

  1. Happy Blog birthday to you. I haven't been following you for very long, but I agree with you, I like to comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah, thank you :) I like to comment and to get comments...though when there's a delay, it usually means I've been away from my computer for a long, long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogaversary! And I totally agree, it makes me feel like people don't like me if they don't comment back, eventually I'll just stop visiting their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to not comment unless I feel like I have something to add to the conversatioon. I'm working on this, though. See?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more! Glad I've found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Thank you for sending me the link. This is excellent advice and I've been picking up my comment and response to lurk ratio.

    Callie Kingston

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...