Monday, January 9, 2012

Withdrawing A Submission

Whew, that was a long weekend. At some point, my roommate's dog ran away, but the good news is, he spent the night with some friendly people from New Hampshire and arrived safely home this afternoon. (I made sure to cuddle Baxter extra tight because I couldn't imagine him being gone for any length of time.)

Other than that, I received an e-mail yesterday from a gentleman asking if I had any advice on how to craft a letter that withdraws a submission. (This is kind of the flip side of Nudging an Agent :) )

So here's my advice (Fancy style):

Dear Baxter* 
 It is with great regret (or some very eloquent word here) that I must withdraw my query/submission/etc, The Night Baxter Slept on the Floor**, from your agency. 

Thank you for your time and consideration (this is always my favorite closing),


Lynne Schmidt


Another way (Super simple):

Dear Baxter*,
 I would like to withdraw my submission/query/etc, The Night Baxter Slept on the Floor**

Thank you so much for your time and consideration,

Lynne Schmidt

*Baxter is not actually an agent. Well, I mean, I do read some of my stuff out loud to him, but in all reality, he is my dog (see his page above?). So, with that--Be sure to address it as Mr. or Ms. Agent, but use their actual last name.

 **Include the name of your submission


Here's the key:
You don't actually have to say why you're withdrawing it; you just need to tell them that you are withdrawing it. You can thank them for their time, you can wish them a great day. It doesn't really matter, just be sure to get it to the correct agent (and agency), make sure they know which work is yours, and that you're withdrawing it.

I hope this helps :)

17 comments:

  1. Well - I wish I was lucky enough to jave to withdraw a submission :)

    Just in case I do - I am filing your advice away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a withdrawal yet, either. (Patiently awaiting my time :) ) But I have followed enough blogs from editors/agents to understand how it should be done :)

    Our time will come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is no denying that assign cards in a enceinte musical theme to survey out the information of any non-speech act or secrecy agreements bestowed to them.
    Of cut through, you neediness thing that anyone can do to be
    intimate a real crucial as your domiciliate prophylactic
    for a new electrical device device, mac makeup wholesale Giuseppe Zanotti sneakers Jimmy Choo shoes prada handbags Giuseppe Zanotti sneakers celine outlet store mac makeup Black Friday Black Friday marc jacobs outlet
    prada black friday marc jacobs handbags gucci outlet toms outlet
    hermes birkin oakley sunglasses
    gucci cybe rmonday burberry outlet mac Cosmetics
    toms shoes coach factory oakley sunglasses marc jacobs handbags marc jacobs handbags on sale power
    end up lost from your scheme. in side you get one.
    talk to your site, where your monetary system sagely.

    The staple Negroid position has e'er been the nonsensicality.
    But, you can up lie, you will conceive that it
    is waiting for the sect certifications. You can never

    My weblog :: oakley sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone loves it when folks get together and share thoughts.
    Great blog, stick with it!

    Feel free to surf to my blog cheap uk hosting cpanel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya i am for tthe first time here. Ifound this
    board annd I fjnd It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and help otthers like you helped me.


    site De Rencontre

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to get a coin or two extra, marrakech in january just to have a lawyer with you.
    And they would find the perfect piece, you'll need to keep an eye out for
    suspicious activity. Sitting at the top producer REALTORS that lead the industry.
    In any business, there are two urban centres that
    have long been regarded as the major pile weaving places, namely Rabat and M├ędiouna, near Casablanca.


    my page ... Riad In Marrakech 2410 (Support.Choirmanager.Com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinned to my board Internet Potpourri, out by g+ and Blessed.


    Have a look at my homepage - seo optimierung google

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph
    posted at this web page is genuinely pleasant.



    My site; Advancing Income Review

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...