Monday, January 16, 2012

Sites To Be Aware Of

Whew, that was a long weekend. Did everyone make it through? *Looks around for half raised hands* Barely? Close enough.

Me...well...I was late for work for the last three days, but that's here nor there :) (Thankfully, my bosses rock, and I wasn't in any real trouble.)

Now, on with the post:

While I enjoy a lot of blogs (see tab to the right), and follow a lot of blogs (find my profile), there are some websites that I check into pretty regularly, and I think everyone should be aware of them:

*PostSecret
Everyone has secrets, right? Everyone has those things that we think, that we feel, that we remember that only our closest friends know. For some of us, we don't even tell our closest friends because it would hurt too much. Frank Warren started PostSecret as a release, a place for those of us who have these secrets but can't tell anyone. You find a postcard, put your secret on it (without your name), and mail it. I've only sent one in, and just making it felt freeing.

*The Burning House
When I was a kid, I'd take all of my favorite stuffed animals, put them in plastic bags, and keep them under my bed in case of a fire. Those were important to me. I'd imagine my house catching fire, getting stuck in my room, popping the screen out, and getting my animals out as quickly as possible.
This website does that. The question is: If your house were on fire, what would you take? You take a picture of the items, and send em in. It's amazing when you sit there and think; My dog, my camera, my computer, my....

*To Write Love On Her Arms
For me, this and PostSecret go hand in hand. There are a lot of people in the world dealing with mental health issues. This website, this foundation, isn't afraid of those issues. It helps to face them head on and say, 'Hey, you're having problems dealing with life? Cool, me too.' Look around, learn something, accept the way people are. I was really, really excited because during my melt down in October, my good friend Patrick got me a shirt from this website, and wrote a note that said something along the lines of "Keep fighting." It was one of the things that kept me going.

Those are my three recommendations for the day. Have an awesome week!

3 comments:

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...