Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why Do You Blog?

Holy February! I cannot believe it's February already. Did January even ever start?? Anyways..

J.A. Bennett had an awesome post about how Blogging is an Art, and Cassie Mae recently had a blog interview that asked, What makes you follow someone when you browse through blogs? Just recently, I met my critique partner in real life (the one that survived THIS), and she was phenomenal. We discussed writing, and at some point she asked, "Why do you keep a blog?"

Here's why I keep a writing blog:

*To share my experiences with people
      I've made a lot of dumb mistakes (See: calling Nathan Bransford and asking what a query letter was). I post about my experiences, the awkward, "OMG WHAT DID I JUST DO?!?!?!" moments, so that maybe you won't have to go through them. (It's also why I made the Writerly Advice column). I write about how hard it is to get rejected, and hopefully at some point, I'll be able to post the awesome post that says, 'HEY, HEY, BUY MY BOOK!' Speaking of buying a book...

*Creating a fanbase
       Followers may not seem like much of a fan base, but when NinjaGirl or Peggy Eddleman announced they'd landed agents, I peed in my pants a little for them. I can't wait til they get published! It may take some time to save up money, but you'd better believe I'll buy their stuff. I'd like to think that my wonderful followers would feel the same way with me :)

*It's fun
        I enjoy nothing more than to find a really awkward picture of myself and somehow fit it into the blog. Or, I like to post about Baxter and make it writing related, or snowboarding. Plus, on days where I don't feel like writing, it makes me feel somewhat accomplished

Those are the main reasons that I blog. Mostly for me, partly for you. But I hope we both get something out of it :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally do for the same reasons. And I would add "To learn". I learn so much from teaching others, from giving advice, and from researching for my posts. It's been the best experience for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lynn(e),
    Thanks so much for the shoutout! I hope you're feeling better. I really enjoy keeping a blog b/c it lets me meet cool new people, and it gives me an outlet to voice my opinions. Plus, I love hearing what other people think, and blog posts are just like one big conversation that everyone gets to weigh in on. Hope you're having a great day, and I look forward to reading your book as well when it comes out :D
    Ninja Girl
    P.S. Thanks for the song recs! I really liked both versions of "Somebody that I Used to Know"

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...