Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for Understanding

Notice he's not leashed?
Told him to just stay and be good.
Baxter has never been through obedience school (I feel like he'd flunk out anyway). He hasn't really been trained, other than by hand signals when I don't want to talk to him in the mornings. But somehow, he's an inherently good dog.

When we lived in NC, in order to get into our house, you literally had to kick the door open. We'd just finished going for a walk, and because he was standing so close, I tried gently pushing my foot against the door. It didn't budge.

"Bax, can you step to the side so I can kick this?" I asked.

He literally stepped to the side.

Before we left, we visited my friend Jake. I left Baxter with him while I went adventuring a few hours away. The following day I got a text saying, "I love your
He's all, "Dude, it's messy. Please clean"
dog." When asked why, he explained that his sister had had a seizure. Baxter somehow understood that something was wrong, woke Jake up and led him to her.

There have been a lot of small things like this, Baxter brings you a toy, and you say, "No, get your new toy," and he drops that one and finds the one you've just told him to get. I have no clue how he does this, but somehow he does.

Which is why, Baxter is my favorite person on the planet :)

In happier news, WE'RE SO CLOSE TO THE END OF THE A TO Z! HANG IN THERE!

6 comments:

  1. Are you sure Baxter isn't actually a Disney prince under a spell? Sounds like he might be to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best comment I've ever gotten. And...hmm...you may be on to something :)

      Delete
  2. He sounds like a smart boy! Have you read "A Dog's Purpose" By W. Bruce Cameron? I think you would really like it. I LOVED it!! Baxter's a lot like the main character. You'll need some tissues but it's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...