Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for Youth

They looked for the Fountain of Youth in Pirates of the Caribbean. They found it in Tuck Everlasting. But I'm afraid that in the world I live in, it doesn't exist.

I don't want to live forever. But as it is, Baxter is turning seven this summer. Sure he still acts like a puppy and runs and plays, but...the clock is ticking. He's officially considered a "senior" dog. If I tackle him wrong, he'll bite me because I've hurt his hips.

I've had a hard time dealing with the fact that Baxter will die someday. Chances are, it'll be before me, and it'll be WAY before I'm ready for him to.

So I think if I could do anything, I would find the Fountain of Youth, and slip some in Baxter's water bowl. I know I have a lot of years left with him, but I'm still bracing for it.

8 comments:

  1. Every time you post about Baxter, I get doggy fever~ even with this post, which is a bittersweet one. He is one very special dog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, and doggie fever is a good thing. We're considering getting Baxter a playmate...though sometimes he's a little...protective... :/

      Delete
  2. Okay, this just made me cry. We lost two of our dogs last year--it was pretty hard (see: unbelievably devestating). Ours usually live 11+ years, but like you said, it's always hard. You take care of that baby Lynn(e). He's got some great years ahead, and you both should live them to the fullest!!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine. I will take care of my little man :) I hope he has many great years ahead of him!

      Delete
  3. I've heard that big dogs don't live as long, and since Baxter certain qualifies... That sucks you have to think about that so early.

    When I was in my final year of college, the dog I grew up with was old. For that whole last year+ I thought about how anytime my mom was going to say it was time to put her down. Cried a lot just thinking about it. But when they get to a point, it's not fair to them. But I got to hold her when we took her to the vet. She was 17.

    Now I'm going through the same thing with our dog. She's still healthy and moves pretty fast for her age, but she's 16. And when that time comes, it's really gonna suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard, whether they die from old age, or whatever else. Why are they so damn easy to love?

      Delete
  4. "I know there is a God because He sends such beautiful creatures to accompany us on this life's journey." Patricia Balwin

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...